“My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples!” (Mark 11:17)
Jesus uttered those words in the temple, where the prayer had dried up and people were being excluded. The presence of God no longer dwells in a temple built up by bricks and mortar, but in people who gather in Jesus’ name, built up as “living stones into a spiritual house” of God (1 Pet. 2:5).
Crossroads is committed the idea that if we are the living stones, prayer is the mortar that holds us together.
The Buddy System is a simple but effective way of saturating our community in prayer. Many camps and public swimming areas employ a buddy system for water safety: each swimmer is paired with a buddy so that lifeguards, who can’t easily keep an eye everyone in a large group, regularly blow their whistles and call for a “buddy check,” at which point every pair joins hand and raises them in the air, ensuring that everyone is accounted for.
We are applying this principle to prayer to make sure each person is accounted for. It’s easy to remain anonymous at church, but we believe that as we commit ourselves to becoming “a house of prayer for all peoples,” we will be continually transformed from a gathering of strangers into the family of God.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for the “Buddy System” (below)
- You will receive an email with the name and number of a buddy (of the same gender).
- Your name and number will be given to a different buddy.
- Once a week, each buddy will call their buddy for a “buddy check.” It’s this simple:
- Buddy 1: “Hi, this is __________, calling you for your buddy check. How can I pray for you today?”
- Buddy 2: Share your prayer petitions or praise with as much honestly as you are comfortable sharing.*
- Buddy 1: Respond to their request with sensitivity to them and to the Holy Spirit.
- Both Buddies: Say your goodbyes before or by the 4-minute time limit!
*Keep in mind that your buddy is only calling you to pray for you, not to process major problems or conflicts. If you have an issue you would like to process with someone, please contact the church the office and, depending on the nature of the issue, we will be happy to schedule a time for you to sit down with a pastor and/or refer you to a local Christian therapist if that seems like a more appropriate option for your situation. (We can also provide financial assistance for therapy, as needed.)
You can also fill out these cards at the church! Drop one in the offering box or at the Connection Point to sign up!